The committee approved 11 bills, one of which is bipartisan children’s online privacy legislation. This legislation is aimed at enhancing the protection of children’s privacy while using online services and platforms.
Check out below in detail the latest bills passed.
Summary: S.447 — 118th Congress (2023-2024)
Orbital Sustainability Act of 2023 or the ORBITS Act of 2023
This bill directs specified agencies to take action to remediate orbital debris (human-made space objects that are no longer in use and can harm orbiting satellites and on-orbit activities).
First, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) must
- publish and periodically update a list of orbital debris that pose the greatest immediate risk of harm to orbiting satellites and on-orbit activities,
- establish a demonstration program to foster the development of technologies to remediate the orbital debris on the list, and
- carry out other research and development activities to advance technologies for remediating orbital debris.
NASA (and other relevant agencies) may also contract for remediation services to support the commercial availability of such services.
Second, the National Space Council must update the Orbital Debris Mitigation Standard Practices within 90 days of the enactment of the bill and update them periodically thereafter. The updates must address matters including satellite constellations and other planned space systems, collision risks, and disposal of space systems after missions. The updates must inform (1) regulations of other agencies concerning orbital debris, and (2) bilateral and multilateral discussions with other countries concerning certain space activities.
Third, the Department of Commerce must facilitate the development of standard practices to coordinate on-orbit space traffic. Upon completion of the practices, Commerce and other federal departments must promote their adoption and use for space missions.
To require the Secretary of Commerce to provide training and guidance
relating to human rights abuses, including such abuses perpetrated
against the Uyghur population by the Government of the People’s Republic of China, and for other purposes.
9 other bills were introduced to be modified and amended As of July 2023 they were approved and are in review.
- S. 1153, The National Manufacturing Advisory Council for the 21st Century Act, as amended by:
- S. 1303, TICKET Act, as amended by:
- S. 1418, Children and Teens’ Online Privacy Protection Act, as amended by:
- S. 1648, Launch Communications Act, as amended by:
- S. 1669, AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023, as amended by:
- S. 2116, Strengthening Support for American Manufacturing Act, as amended by:
- S. 2201, the American Cybersecurity Literacy Act, as amended by:
- S. 1421, Country of Origin Online Labeling Act, as amended by:
- S. 1409, Kids Online Safety Act, as amended by: